Back on October 5, I challenged myself to practice yoga for 21 days straight. The idea was to change my brain and my habits and make the practice of yoga a daily habit.
This is what I found:
1. Unfortunately, I missed 3 days. On those days, I completely and totally forgot about the challenge and it would usually occur to me the next morning. I can sometimes be a perfectionist and this has bugged me terribly. BUT. I do think that even in that there is a lesson - it is what it is. I forgot. And that's okay. I need to be kinder to myself when I don't do things the way I had anticipated.
2. If I didn't make it a priority and set aside a specific time, my yoga routine was rushed. That too, was valuable. For me, to be most effective I need to practice first thing in the morning before the craziness of the day eats up time.
3. It didn't matter if I practiced for 10 minutes or 30, I felt better than when I started. Always. Every time. I felt calmer, more at peace with myself, more gratitude, and stronger.
4. Practicing yoga (almost) everyday made me much more aware of other choices I was making in regard to my health. Especially if I practiced first thing in the morning. It really did set me up for a better day.
5. Yoga is powerful. And I will continue to practice. My goal now is to continue to practice everyday, even if it's just 5 minutes, and to carve out that time for me. My approach to everything in my life is so much better when I'm taking time to care for my health and well-being.
If you joined me in the 21 Day Yoga Challenge, I'd love to hear from you. Supporting one another and creating community is one of the purposes of this blog, so if you have tips/tricks or found a routine you love and want to share, I'd love to feature it.
Happy Saturday, friends. I'm off to watch the rest of the Cardinals' game...since they just stranded players on loaded bases...I may need to practice some yoga while I watch the rest of the game!
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann