1. Dog people. They are the best. I met an older man and woman out on the trails Sunday with their 3 dogs - a big, happy, go-lucky, goofy white Lab, a calm, centered soul of a Black Lab, and a well-mannered, observant, confident little Yorkie (his owner said she found him abandoned in a parking lot and took him home and now he loves hanging out with the big dogs and chasing possums). They made quite the group. Their dogs and my dogs happily sniffed and wagged while the humans chatted about the merits of dog ownership and how dogs made life better. And my day was made.
2. Being so close to the lake.
3. Cold watermelon. Loads of it.
4. My students. They both delight and drive me crazy, but I love working with them.
5. A playlist of some of my favorite 90s country songs. Right now, I'm listening to "Small Town Saturday Night" by Hal Ketchum. Before that, Marty Stuart.
6. Running in the shade. It has been HOT the last few days.
7. That Chris will always and forever sign everything - notes to me, letters, sticky note reminders, cards, etc. - with both his first and last name. Always.
8. How lush and verdant everything is right now.
9. The way the sun warms up the clover so that it is the first thing I smell when I walk out of school every day.
Happy Thursday, friends. Here's to looking for the good.
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann