A weekly series of things that remind me to be grateful and find beauty in the everyday.
As we continue to get settled into our new home and find our new "norm," I have moments that completely overwhelm me. I'm going to be very honest here - I love this new place. I love how close I am to Nature. I love this old house even with its many old-house problems. But, Anxiety tries to take hold and root down deep. Why? Change. Even the good kind can rattle me deep. And my plans for a job have not worked as I thought they would. You see, I was planning to substitute teach while working on launching my photography business full-time. But, there have been lots of hoops to jump through and a 4-6 week wait period before I can even schedule an interview. And that anxiety turns to panic and the more I feel panic rising in my chest, the more I try to control my situation.
Which is futile. And exhausting.
It is in times like these that I reach out for lots of support from the amazing people in my life. When I go for more walks. When I stop putting off journaling and sit down and write and write and write and let it all pour out. And I make a gratitude list a mile long.
Sometimes I need a reminder from the Universe to do these things and to allow self-care. A reminder like this:
(Ah, yes. Thank you, Pinterest. Thank you, Universe.)
And after doing those things, I feel a sense of peace. I have some clarity. I feel centered. I can stay present in this moment and not worry about the future days.
So my list is long this week, my friends. Because I have a lot of good in my life and I needed to remember that:
1. The beautiful light coming through my windows
2. The late-blooming flowers
3. A pile of dogs at my feet (they could be anywhere else in this house, but choose this spot)
4. Firewood to build a fire that keeps me warm on chilly mornings
5. A classical music station to keep me company as I go about my day
6. Hot coffee
7. Watching the animals outside my windows as they start their winter preparations
8. Nourishing food
9. A husband who knows me well enough to know I'd appreciate the gift of seeing salamanders and taking the time to show them to me in the gathering dusk
10. For how hard he works
11. For an ever-faithful, loving, and gentle Creator
12. For walks in the woods with my husband looking for deer sign
13. For my current situation
14. For this moment, for today, for staying in the present
15. For connecting with new kindred souls and the gift of being allowed to do so
16. For the changing colors of the leaves
17. For a trusty, faithful down comforter
18. For photography, for my gear, and the passion to create
Notice their wet ears and faces? Yeah, they had just been outside, joyously running through the wet woods. They are quite happy here.
The old rock wall running along the edge of our yard. Beautiful, yes? Well, immediately after snapping this picture, I felt an intense stinging pain on my left ankle and looked down to see that I had stepped in a yellow jacket's nest. My legs were covered in swarming yellow jackets. I was wearing jeans, but had rolled them up to keep them from getting wet. Fortunately/unfortunately, I got stung twice. They are angry little suckers! One even stung me through my jeans. My legs hurt/swelled/itched for days.
Middy Mae, enjoying the morning sunshine in our living room. Photo taken from the loft above.
Happy Thursday, my friends. I have deeply missed sharing on this space.
Here's to looking for the good - it is so, so necessary. If you're having a hard go, take time to sit down, write, and make a grateful list. I promise you, things will be much clearer after you do.
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann