1. The smell of fresh watermelon and sliced limes.
2. Open and direct communication.
3. The soft morning light that fills up the eastern facing side of our house as the sun comes up.
4. Successfully restarting my aloe plant. I thought it was a goner. The stress of moving it nearly ended its long life, but I somehow managed to get it going again.
5. Short lines and amazing efficiency when I went in to pay property taxes on our truck so we can get South Carolina plates. It took less than 10 minutes. Holy cow.
6. A nearly full moon in all her glory and the silhouettes of the trees outlined in her glow. Spectacular. Especially with jar flies and crickets humming all around and a distant hoot owl calling.
7. Three tuckered out dogs all piled in the same room, snoozing away. Even though they have the entire house to choose from, they choose the room I'm in while I type away. Middy chose sleeping on my foot.
8. Running trails with a new friend.
9. Being in the forest under a canopy of trees while hazy sunlight shines through thick humidity.
10. Tiny little toad frogs.
11. An evening spent outside in the shade of trees, mowing, the smell of cut grass, the contemplative nature of weeding out the flower bed, warm concrete's graveled texture under my bare feet as I watched lightning bugs in dim light, Simon twitching his tail back and forth as he assessed the neighborhood, and laughing as Cholla ran back and forth trying to catch lightning bugs.
12. Seeing the blue moon rise on Friday night and then getting up to go for a run on Saturday morning and seeing the sun rise as the blue moon set. Gorgeous.
Happy Thursday, friends. Here's to looking for the good.
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann