1. Subbing in my rolling pin for foam rollers to massage out tight calf muscles.
2. A surprise birthday gift subscription to Runner's World - thanks, Mom!
3. The smell of happiness in the form of a candle from my sweet friend. It's actually called, "Choose Happiness" and it certainly makes me happy.
4. Getting caught up on a buttload of grading.
5. ONLY 9 DAYS LEFT OF SCHOOL.
6. This scenario: My freshmen students were working on their poetry project earlier this week and one kept complaining that he couldn't work because he didn't have his headphones and couldn't listen to music. According to him, he couldn't work or be creative without his music. So I remedied this by playing classical music. He responded by pretending to cry and then whining. Several other students thought they were suffering mightily as well and they kept throwing out suggestions...none of which were exactly "school appropriate," and finally the original student shouted out, "Let's listen to Kidz Bop, Mrs. Hallmark!" And I was like, I can get on board with that. So. We listened to Kidz Bop. And it was hilarious. And most of my kids were belting it out while working on poetry. And two boys got especially excited when good old Taylor Swift came on and sang the song, "I Knew You Were Trouble," word for word. Best poetry project work day ever.
7. Misty mornings after a night of rain - absolutely gorgeous when the sunlight comes through. I felt like I was driving through a scene on Lord of the Rings or something the other morning on my way to work.
8. The smell of magnolia blossoms.
9. Living just 10 minutes from the gloriousness of what's below - the South Carolina Botanical Gardens. I highly recommend you visit if given the chance.
10. Two sessions with two beautiful, kind-hearted Seniors in the span of a week.
I want to live in that house. Right there. It's called the Hanover House and it's on the South Carolina Botanical Garden grounds in Clemson. It was built in 1716. Gorgeous.
Happy Thursday, friends. Here's to looking for the good.
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann