Today's recipe was *this close* to not happening. For one thing, I originally planned to share a chicken pot pie recipe with you, but my pie crust went to pot and the thing doesn't look appealing at all. At all. But, it smells good and I'm hoping that beneath its not-so-appealing-exterior that it will still be a tasty little meal of epic proportions.
So. That happened.
Then I got a migraine.
And the dogs got into the recycling bin.
And Simon was being annoying because he wanted to go outside only to realize that it was snowing and cold and then he wanted back in immediately.
And my internet connection was being stupidly wonky.
So I decided to make something easy and quick and good for breakfast and made these instead: "Healthier" Muesli Cookies.
Yes. Yum. Good choice.
These have had a "sort-of healthy" makeover. Now, stay with me here...and don't let this be off-putting. Because they are fragrant with crispy edges and chewy centers. And you wouldn't even know that they were made with whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of the usual cookie baking suspects. They are especially good with a smear of butter. Trust me....I should know since I ate about 5 of them in a row. And be sure to try them with straight, unaltered English Breakfast Tea. No sugar, no cream - just straight-up good ol' black tea.
Eat them, sip your tea, and be happy.
"Healthier" Muesli Cookies
*adapted from Bob's Red Mill recipe
1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, blend applesauce, sugar, and vanilla together. Mix well. Beat in egg.
4. Add cinnamon and mix well.
5. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix.
6. Stir in the Muesli and stir until well combined.
7. Drop by tablespoonfuls on lightly greased cookie sheet. Allow about an inch between each cookie because they spread as they bake.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are a dark golden color.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes.
10. Using a spatula, remove cookies from sheet and place on wire rack to cool.
11. Enjoy warm.
Happy Monday, friends! I hope wherever you are that you are warm, content, and shrugging off those worries that can loom way too large if we let them.
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann