My PaPa has a saying that I find entirely endearing - every time we gather as a family, he blesses our food, plants his hands on the table, leans forward with anticipation, and with much enthusiasm says, "Lay back yer ears and cram it in!"
I love that saying. I love that he says that every time we get together. This meal is definitely one you'll want to lay back yer ears for because portabella mushrooms + a very light cream sauce + protein-rich quinoa = one very happy belly.
Try it. Savor it. Lick the goodness off your fork. Go back for seconds.
Light & Creamy Mushroom Quinoa
1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
1 tablespoon good extra virgin olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
1 dry pint portobello mushrooms, sliced
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons white cooking wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
chopped parsley for garnish
1. Cook quinoa according to package and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
4. Pour in cooking wine; simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any brown bits.
5. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1-2 minutes.
6. Stir in cream and mix well, letting simmer for about 1 minute.
7. Remove from heat.
8. Add sauce mixture to cooked quinoa; mix well. Serve warm and garnish with fresh parsley.
Eat up, cram it in, and have a very happy week!
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann