Our life around here lately in iPhone photos. And words. Yes, those too.
1. I do any number of ridiculous things on a daily basis and the first Saturday of January was no different. Case in point - I mistakenly used a kitchen knife that hadn't been washed (in my defense, I thought it was clean!) to cut up my grapefruit. How did I know it wasn't washed? Because it was the spiciest grapefruit I've ever eaten. Why was it spicy, you ask? Because, unbeknownst to me, Mr. Husband had just used that knife to cut up a habanero pepper for the enchiladas he was making.
Yep. I do stuff like that.
My lips and mouth tingled for a very long time. And Mr. Husband thought it was hilarious.
2. I was told that when I don't wear my glasses, I look like I am 12 years old. Compliment?? I'm not sure. I was also told that 2015 was the year of the redhead (what? is that even a thing??) and that I look like Meryl Streep. Yes! Meryl Streep! I don't look a thing like Meryl Streep, but I'll take it.
3. I think my pets are on a mission to drive me crazy: Iris got into my purse and ate half a bag of snacks that contained chocolate (thank goodness she is just fine), Bishop keeps knocking over the recycling bin and rummaging through it (and I'm sure the other two helped), Middy won't stop eating our firewood, I caught Cholla up on the counter eating my breakfast waffle and he somehow managed to get into a kitchen cabinet and walked all over our dishes, and Simon somehow keeps sneaking into our closet and sleeping on clean stacks of folded laundry. What is happening??!!
4. We moved our bedroom upstairs into what was my office because it is the warmest and best-insulated room in the house. Northeastern Winter, you are quite the teacher. Sidenote: Cholla's not happy about the move because the table he considered "his" has become my office desk. He makes it a point to hop up there once a day and knock things off.
5. Simon begrudgingly accepts Cholla's presence mostly because he provides extra warmth. However, from time to time when they are curled up on the couch (see below), Simon will wake up, look over at Cholla, and then proceed to bite the ever-living-fire out of him. They tussle for a few minutes and there's a lot of yowling and then they settle back down and continue sleeping. Weird creatures.
5. Also, our house now looks like a weird crime scene since we winterized the windows and covered them in plastic in an effort to seal out the bitter cold. See the above photo. It's an old house and very drafty, so the crime scene look is a dire necessity. Did I mention that our first Northeastern Winter has been quite the teacher? I have been dreaming about Spring and blooming daffodils. I mean this literally. I am literally having dreams at night about Spring. Random sidenote...I also dreamt I carved a spoon. Huh.
6. Currently, snow has been on the ground since sometime in November.
7. Iris and Middy have decided that my yoga mat makes an excellent sleeping spot.
8. I hate it when spiders decide they want a drink of my tea too.
9. My poor truck has taken a beating since moving to the Northeast. The crack in the windshield (pictured above) is a direct result of cold. THE COLD. Also, someone dinged it in the grocery store parking lot and it is almost always covered in salt, sand, and snow. I try to wash it every week and apologize to it every day.
10. I was going to officially start my half-marathon training the last week of January, but the Universe had other plans. (I like to imagine that the Universe has a sly sense of humor and is apt to chuckle and say, "Oh, you think so, do you puny human? I'll show you!") Instead, I got a cold and couldn't breathe out of my nose for a week. My sense of taste was greatly altered during this time as well and nothing - let me repeat that - NOTHING - tasted good. What a sorry joke. Eating is one of my favorite things about life!
11. Chris shaved off his beard. He did this one night after I had already gone to bed and when I saw him the next morning, he laughed at my double-take. I haven't seen the man without a beard since we moved to New York. However, after running outside to warm up the Subaru, he declared his regret because, you guessed it, his face was "frozen without a beard."
That's been our life around this joint lately. How goes it with you?
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann