You know what's usually wrong with salads?
They can't stand on their own two feet.
Now, hear me out - I am not hating on salads. Salads are good. Salads are fine.
But they normally seem to be lacking in anything substantial enough to keep me full for more than 15 minutes. And that's no good. It's no good for me, and it's definitely no good for anyone around me.
But this salad - this salad! Behold...it's a salad that not only can stand on its own two feet, it can also roundhouse kick hunger in the face. I borrowed this from Vegan Miam and made a few adjustments because of what I had/didn't have in the cupboard and in the fridge. I liked it so much that I have made it twice in less than a week. And, trust me - coming from someone who becomes easily hangered (hungry + angry), this keeps me full and makes me happy because its flavors are amazing. It has some great texture thanks to the farro and quinoa, just the right amount of heat from the vinaigrette you whip up yourself, saltiness from the feta cheese, and the sun dried tomatoes - oh, mercy, the sun dried tomatoes. You cannot skimp out on those. They make this salad.
Plus, it is fantastically good for you. Just feel the quality of your life improving as you eat a plate (or three, I won't judge) of this goodness. Hop to it! No time to waste!
Farro, Quinoa, & Kale Salad
*adapted from Vegan Miam's recipe
For the vinaigrette:
For the salad:
1. Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, dried chili flakes, and salt in a small bowl and let macerate for 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil and add the garlic. Let the dressing sit for at least 30 minutes before adding to the salad.
2. After the vinaigrette has sat for 30 minutes, place kale in a large salad bowl.
3. Add the cooked farro and quinoa, as well as the beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and sun dried tomatoes.
4. Whisk the vinaigrette and then drizzle over the salad. Toss well to distribute.
5. Add feta to taste, toss again, and serve immediately or at room temperature.
Enjoy! And Happy Labor Day!
Sites I Dig
The Road is Home
The Seed & Plate
Sharon Covert Photography
The Define School
The Noisy Plume
Sarah Gee Photography
Fox & Owl Studio
The Stork and The Beanstalk
Mellow Yellow Photography
A Simple Little Journal
What I've Been Reading
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Never Broken by Jewel
Hold Still by Sally Mann